Marldon, Devon

At Compton Castle, Marldon, near Paignton, an armillary sphere was built in the rose garden in 1983 to commemorate the four-hundredth anniversary of the colonisation of Newfoundland, which was led by Sir Humphrey Gilbert, whose family owned the house from 1329 to c1800 and from 1930 to the present [Stanier, p. 43].

See THIS LINK


To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK

Search the Gazetteer:

Gazetteer Index Main MacTutor index

An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster

The original site is at THIS LINK