In 1333, a number of Oxford students left Oxford after some dispute and set up at Stamford, principally at Greyfriars School, which was on the south side of St. Paul's Street. Edward IV ordered the student to return to Oxford in 1335. Many of the students had come from Brasenose College and brought the famous Brazen Nose door knocker with them and this remained on the Brazenose Gate of Greyfriars School for several centuries; a replica is now on the Gate in St. Paul's Street.
[The Ancient Borough of Stamford in Lincolnshire, Dolby Brothers, Stamford, for the Stamford Town Development Committee, nd [c1970], pp.11, 18, 41-42.]
See THIS LINK
To see an Ordnance Survey map click at THIS LINK
|Gazetteer Index||Main MacTutor index|
An extract from The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles created by David Singmaster
The original site is at THIS LINK