Wrexham, North Wales
Elihu Yale (1648-1721) was born in the USA but went to India in 1672 and became Governor of Madras (cf under India in Section 10). He retired to Plas Grono, about 2 miles south of Wrexham, and made donations to many charitable causes, including St. Paul's School (in London?), St. Giles Church, Wrexham, and a struggling college in New Haven, Connecticut, subsequently named in his honour. He is buried in the churchyard of St. Giles, Wrexham, west of the tower (photo in [Bailey]). The iron screen and the painting in the ante-nave are supposed to be donations of his. Yale University restored the tower in 1901 to commemorate the bicentenary of the institution (plaque inside) and restored the tomb in 1968 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Yale's donation. A replica of the church tower was built at Yale in the 1920s. See Plas-yn-Yale.
At Erddig, a stately house about 2 miles south of Wrexham, there is a Chinese Coromandel screen sent by Yale from India. Plas Grono was adjacent to the park of Erddig, but was demolished in 1876. [Beazley & Howell]; [Timpson]
Near the lectern of St. Giles is a bust of Lady Margaret Beaufort (1443-1509), an earlier educational benefactor - she founded Christ's College and St. John's College, both in Cambridge.
See THIS LINK
To see an Ordnance Survey map click at
An extract from
The Mathematical Gazetteer of the British Isles
created by David Singmaster
The original site is at