Generally speaking, I am investigating combinatorial aspects of semigroup theory and algebra, as well as interactions between algebra and relational structures arising in combinatorics.
Specific areas in which I work include:
- semigroup presentations;
- generating sets for semigroups and other algebraic structures;
- finiteness conditions and decidability;
- transformation semigroups;
- pattern classes of permutations;
- applications of automata and languages to algebra and combinatorics.
Follow links on the left to find out more about my research activities.
And now, my son, admit that you are unable to bear not combining. Give half to this and half to that, that is, do combinations half of the night, and permutations half of the night. (A. Abulafia, quoted by G. Scholem)